Thursday, June 23, 2016

ABC's of the ATL


photo: Meg Davidson Photography

This week marks 17 years that I have lived in Atlanta. To be honest, I have a love hate relationship with this town. It is where I have spent my married life, had two beautiful children, grew a small paper and design business and have made friendships of a lifetime that can never be replaced. However, I have always had a very hard time calling Atlanta home. 

The first half of this year was spent thinking that a move back north, closer to our families was finally going to happen. And when the reality hit it that may not be happen as quickly as we had hoped, the following months have been filled with learning to bloom where we are planted. 

This ABC of the ATL series blossomed from the 100 day project that I challenged myself to. Doing a sketch for 100 days turned out to be more difficult than what I had first imagined. So, I thought of an ongoing project that would help fill those days. The 26 letters in the alphabet would knock almost a month of sketches, plus I needed something new to put on the shelves at one of my stockist, 
Crafted Westside  After researching, I couldn't believe that nobody had done this before. The ABC's of the ATL quickly became topic of conversation at our breakfast table. Everyone in the family added their favorite things of our town to the list and off I went to sketch them out. It even became a fun topic to talk about at BBQ's and the food trucks park. (sorry that didn't make it for "F". But, I've already had requests to do single prints using other hot Atlanta finds) 

Our little sketches and ideas quickly caught on. I am overwhelmed by its response. Thank you everyone!  Its been super fun and like I said, I don't think that the party is over just yet. There will be more on this fun subject to come. And who knew that after 17 years, a that series of simple drawings would actually help me to love where I live. Love mite be pushing it a tad, but at least I have learned to appreciate it much more.  

Want your own print? Just head on over to our shop here.








No comments:

Post a Comment